Sunday, October 21, 2012

Yad Vashem.










I was able to go to a Holocaust museum here in Israel. I have been to the one in Washington DC, so I had expectations going into this one. Our professor who teaches our Israel class is Jewish, and he was the one who took us around for a tour. I really enjoyed having him take time to tell us the history and answer any questions we had.

There were two sculptures that showed the Jews who had despair, and the other that showed the ones who had hope and survived the Holocaust by fighting for their lives. They are side by side, which really put into perspective the choices that one can make in hard times. It is really hard for me to wrap my mind around the Holocaust. It frustrates me that something so terrible could happen to so many people. As I was going through, I was reminded that there were people who did help hide the Jews in their homes, which gave me perspective that there are good people in the world.

That night, we had FHE where a holocaust survivor came and spoke to us. His name is Elias and is seriously the cutest man! I loved hearing from him. He survived 9 different concentration camps and showed us his number that he was given in Auschwitz. Seriously such an amazing man and such a great lesson to learn from him to be happy through trials.

0 comments: